[Snowball-discuss] restoring a stemmed word

Alexandra Elizabeth Duncan aed02@doc.ic.ac.uk
Fri Jul 4 13:57:01 2003

Hi
I am an MSc student at Imperial College and for my thesis I am writing a
language translator for a mobile phone (english-french).  The idea is to
have the dictionary stored on the phone but as the memory available is
quite small, I will need to compress the words.

For the first stage of compression, I am intending to stem the words as
this seems very suitable but this means that I will need to restore the
words to their unstemmed form in order to display the result to the user.

I haven't seen any mention of ways to restore a stemmed word and I was
wondering if there are similar rules for doing so, and/or can one
reverse the algorithm to restore a word back to its full form?

Any advice or pointers to reading material on this would be greatly
appreciated.

Regards
Alexandra Duncan
Imperial  College, London