[Snowball-discuss] what about Perl PorterStemmer

cyrille cyrilleml@kbuilder.net
Wed Jun 18 12:12:01 2003

Olly Betts a =E9crit:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 12:14:30PM +0200, cyrille wrote:
>=20
>>Martin Porter a =E9crit:
>>
>>>No, the perl version is just for the the so-called Porter stemmer (Eng=
lish)

>>Do you think it is a hard work to rewrite it
>>with rules from http://www.snowball.tartarus.org/french/stemmer.html ??=

>>Perhaps I will loose my time or is it possible ??
>=20
>=20
> I would say the most useful approach would be to write a Perl backend
> for the Snowball compiler.  Then *any* Snowball stemmer (existing or ye=
> to be written) would be automatically available in Perl as well.

hello Olly,

there is already one :
  http://www.snowball.tartarus.org/wrappers/guide.html
perhaps I can use it but my needs are a bit special.

in a Perl application I've to create keywords for indexing.
but text to be indexed comes by many little peaces of string by the way o=
f da application get.
So I'm afraid that calling a external application for each strings will b=
reak down performances...

But I did not try da Perl wrappers, perhaps I miss some knowledge.
Perhaps the stemmer say in memory ?

regards,
cyrille