[Snowball-discuss] Snowball and Perl

Olly Betts olly@survex.com
Wed Oct 1 12:54:02 2003

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 12:19:40PM +0200, Juan Francisco Fernandez Carrasco wrote:
> I am trying to add snowball stemmers for Spanish, Italian and English
> (Catalan and Basque
> would be welcome but I see they are not available) to a Perl
> application.

If you'd like to help out with Catalan and Basque stemmers, see:

http://snowball.tartarus.org/texts/howtohelp.html

> Is there any way to compile Snowball code to Perl instead of C?

I have a partially written Snowball backend which would generate Perl
code instead of C, but I've not had enough time to work on it much.
It's probably not too far from working though if someone wants to
try and get it working.

> Could you give me any advice or workaround to achieve that aim?

The other approaches are to use XS (or similar) wrappers to call the C
version from Perl, or to use a separate Perl implementation.  Oleg
provided a link to Perl wrappers (and a couple of reasons for preferring
them).