[Snowball-discuss] BSD License conditions

John Challis johnc@conceptSearching.com
Tue Feb 17 08:50:02 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0029_01C3F498.B9D8DEF0

Hello Martin (or Richard or whoever answers these emails)

Since leaving Smartlogik I have, much to my surprise, been increasingly =
involved in information retrieval. Some insight into my current work can =
be seen at: www.conceptSearching.com=20

The reason for my email is to clarify what I am allowed to do with the =
resources published on the Snowball site. I realise that you publish =
everything under the BSD License but I am still not clear about my =
ability to utilise your algorithms.=20

ConceptSearching is a closed-source proprietary product. However, it =
seems to me that I could incorporate your stemming algorithms and =
distribute in binary code form provided that I give full credit to you =
in our documentation and include the BSD copyright notice making it =
clear what parts of our product are covered by this license.

Am I allowed to do this ?

If yes, then I would be happy to forward you a copy of the documenation =
that I propose to use for your approval.

If no, then could you please suggest some way that I may use your =
algorithms without infringing your copyright. Please note that =
publishing our entire product under the BSD license is not an option we =
wish to consider.

I apologise for asking a question that should be answered already by =
your license. However, I am an engineer and not a solicitor and so I =
would like to be sure before proceeding (and we are too small to have a =
company lawyer).

Best regards - and good luck with Locayta !

John Challis
Concept Searching Limited
Mobile: 07879 631910
------=_NextPart_000_0029_01C3F498.B9D8DEF0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello Martin (or Richard =
or&nbsp;whoever answers=20
these emails)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Since leaving Smartlogik I have, much =
to my=20
surprise, been increasingly involved in information retrieval. Some =
insight into=20
my current work can be seen at: <A=20
href=3D"http://www.conceptSearching.com">www.conceptSearching.com</A>=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The reason for my email is to clarify =
what I am=20
allowed to do with the resources published on the Snowball site. I =
realise that=20
you publish everything under the BSD License but I am still not clear =
about my=20
ability to utilise your algorithms. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>ConceptSearching is a closed-source =
proprietary=20
product. However, it seems to me that I could incorporate your stemming=20
algorithms and distribute in binary code form provided that I give full =
credit=20
to you in our documentation and&nbsp;include the BSD copyright notice =
making it=20
clear what parts of our product are covered by this =
license.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Am I allowed to do this ?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If yes, then I would be happy =
to&nbsp;forward you a=20
copy of the documenation that I propose to use for your =
approval.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If no, then could you please suggest =
some way that=20
I may use your algorithms without infringing your copyright. Please note =
that=20
publishing our entire product under the BSD license is not an option we =
wish to=20
consider.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I apologise for asking a question that =
should be=20
answered already by your license. However, I am an engineer and not a =
solicitor=20
and so I would like to be sure before proceeding (and we are too small =
to have a=20
company lawyer).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Best regards - and good luck with =
Locayta=20
!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>John Challis</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Concept Searching Limited</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mobile: 07879 =
631910</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0029_01C3F498.B9D8DEF0--