[Snowball-discuss] Dutch stemmer: undouble "nn", "mm", "ff"?

Martin Porter martin.porter@grapeshot.co.uk
Tue Jan 6 18:12:01 2004

Arjen, Edwin,

I may have to let you pursue your study of the Dutch stemmer for sometime
before getting involved myself, as I have a number of things on the go.
Would that be okay by you? What I could do finally is offer a rerelease of
the stemmer, or perhaps support two stemmers, simple and advanced.

I do have the Kraaij-Pohlmann stemmer in Snowball (exact except for a
handful of words in a large vocabulary). They created a complex piece of
work, not always easy to understand, but it does tackle the points you have
been raising in your emails, as well as I can recall. Would it be useful to
you if I put up my  version on the Snowball website?

If the Dutch stemmer is redone, I'll need to find a new vocabulary (mine
doesn't have apostophe in words, so stemming 'tje etc can't be demonstrated).

Martin