[Snowball-discuss] Dutch stemmer: undouble "nn", "mm", "ff"?

Edwin de Jonge ejne@rnd.vb.cbs.nl
Wed Jan 7 07:56:02 2004

Hi Martin,

Martin Porter wrote:
> I may have to let you pursue your study of the Dutch stemmer=20
> for sometime before getting involved myself, as I have a=20
> number of things on the go. Would that be okay by you?=20
That is fine with me.

> What I could do finally is offer a rerelease of the stemmer, or=20
> perhaps support two stemmers, simple and advanced.
I like this idea: the advanced will be slower (and more complex)
than the simple, so users can choose.

> I do have the Kraaij-Pohlmann stemmer in Snowball (exact=20
> except for a handful of words in a large vocabulary). They=20
> created a complex piece of work, not always easy to=20
> understand, but it does tackle the points you have been=20
> raising in your emails, as well as I can recall. Would it be=20
> useful to you if I put up my  version on the Snowball website?=20
I'm very interested in the Kraaij-Pohlmann stemmer, I think it would be
useful to me.

> If the Dutch stemmer is redone, I'll need to find a new=20
> vocabulary (mine doesn't have apostophe in words, so stemming=20
> 'tje etc can't be demonstrated).

I will try to help you find/create such a vocabulary.

Edwin