[Snowball-discuss] Norwegian stemmer

Helge Thomas Hellerud helgetho at stud.ntnu.no
Fri Jan 14 13:23:11 GMT 2005

Hello,

I've been testing the Norwegian stemmer, and I have a question to one
result.

I test the algorithm with the word "allierte". For this word, R1 = "lierte".

In step 1a, the last "e" in R1 will will deleted --> "alliert"

In step 1c, the last "ert" will be replaced with "er" --> "allier".

And here comes my question. When the algorithm is starting all over again,
in step 1a the last "er" in "allier" will be deleted. My result will then be
"alli".

But in this paper (http://snowball.tartarus.org/norwegian/diffs.txt),
"allierte" is stemmed to "allier".

Why is not the last "er" deleted in step1a?

Helge