[Snowball-discuss] binary version of german stemmer ?

James Aylett james at tartarus.org
Thu Mar 17 16:52:24 GMT 2005

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 04:42:45PM +0000, Richard Boulton wrote:

> I am interested in making sure everybody can compile the code, however.
> If you can give a clear explanation of whatever problem it is that you
> are having with the compilation, I will try and be of assistance.  It
> should be quite straightforward.

In snowball/snowball:

$ make -f GNUmakefile

gcc-3.0 -Iinclude -W -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations
-Werror  -c -o src_c/stem_english.o src_c/stem_english.c
cc1: warnings being treated as errors
src_c/stem_english.c: In function `r_prelude':
src_c/stem_english.c:376: warning: label `lab1' defined but not used
make: *** [src_c/stem_english.o] Error 1

However if I run the make command again, it works properly. It does,
however use a different compile invocation:

gcc-3.0 -Iinclude -O4 -c -o src_c/stem_english.o src_c/stem_english.c

So something is weird with the makefile.

(I was going to ask why you require gmake. Then I looked at the
makefile :-)