[Snowball-discuss] Stopword licenses

Martin Porter martin.porter at grapeshot.co.uk
Fri Apr 28 09:59:52 BST 2006

Neal,

Very interesting to read of your use of the snowball work. I'm glad it's
been useful. (Perhaps we could add a reference to HtDig on our 'projects'
page, which is updated all too infrequently.)

The stopwords lists are BSD I guess, but I tend to be even more relaxed
about their use than the stemmers themselves. As you say, they usually
undergo a lot of massaging and adjusting before they become serviceable in
another piece of work. Given that you are not using them in a way that makes
acknowledgement easy, I suggest you don't bother to credit snowball as the
source.

Martin

P.S. -- I don't suppose you have a stopword list for Finnish?