[Snowball-discuss] Python bindings

Richard Boulton richard at lemurconsulting.com
Mon Jun 12 17:14:48 BST 2006

We've had discussions at various points over the last few years about
Python bindings (in fact, the first submission to the list on the subject
was in 2001).  Until yesterday, we hosted links to a couple of
implementations of Python bindings for snowball on our website, but didn't
support either of them.  Having tried them out at the weekend, I found that
I couldn't get one to compile, and wasn't happy with the interface provided
by the other.  I therefore put together a lightweight wrapper on the
libstemmer library (using the Pyrex wrapper generation tool, to make this
an easier job).

I'm calling this PyStemmer, which is the same name as the original wrapper,
written by Andreas Jung, but I don't feel this is a problem since the
original wrapper hasn't been modified in 5 years, and has a very similar
interface.

Version 1.0 is now available on the snowball website (on the "wrappers"
page), at:

http://snowball.tartarus.org/wrappers/PyStemmer-1.0.tar.gz

--
Richard