[Snowball-discuss] Consider changing the suffix -version to-vert rather than to -verse

Martin Porter martin at porterloo.wanadoo.co.uk
Sat Dec 6 10:02:09 GMT 2008

At 17:25 05/12/2008 -0500, Tolkin, Steve wrote:

>Dear Martin,
>	Your paper was very interesting and enlightening.  I have a few
>questions and some feedback.
>
>Some of the paper uses actual Snowball notation to describe a stemmer, a
>Lovins-style Porter stemmer.  But that stemmer is not listed at
>http://snowball.tartarus.org/  Does that stemmer actually exist?

It is appendix 2 of the paper.

>You call our attention to the section on second conjugation form, and so
>I focus on that.
>The table shown in the paper seems incomplete.
>For example, "pro" is not in the list of prefixes for the suffix "cess".

process will be picked up of course, since 'pro' is picked up by 'prefix',
and 'cess' in the among list of 'second_conjugation_form'. It just isn't
mentioned in the comment line. Similarly for some of your other examples.
(The comment lines were influenced by the cases in Lovins' original paper.)

As for the new ones, I'll look at them in a while and get back to you.
Thanks for listing them,

Martin