[Snowball-discuss] Academic Citation of libstemmer_c

Richard Boulton richard at lemurconsulting.com
Tue Jul 29 20:57:57 BST 2008

Patrick Moran wrote:
> To whom it may concern,
>
> I am a member of an REU research team at NC State University, and we
> made use of libstemmer_c in our research this summer. We would like to
> give credit where it is due, but we're unsure how the author(s) of
> snowball would like to be cited in an academic (specifically
> mathematical) paper.

I'm not the primary author of snowball, but I don't personally have any
strong views about how it should be cited.  A quick search shows that
most existing citations simply use Martin's name, the summary of
snowball, the year, and the website address.  For example,

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1031171.1031285&coll=GUIDE&dl=GUIDE

says: "Porter, M. F. Snowball: A language for stemming algorithms, 2001.
http://snowball.tartarus.org/".

This style of citation seems perfectly reasonable to me.  (Though you'll
probably want to change the year from 2001 to that in which you looked
at the site!).

--
Richard