[Snowball-discuss] Snowball release cycle ?

Grant Ingersoll gsingers at apache.org
Wed Apr 1 22:10:01 BST 2009

On Apr 1, 2009, at 4:51 PM, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> Grant,
>
> I'm originator of this thread and PostgreSQL is also a big user of the
> Snowball project, so we also are very interested in the vital
> activity of the project. However, I see issue with license, which is
> currently BSD and this allows us to use snowball in PostgreSQL (which
> is also BSD licensed). Is't possible to preserve BSD license under
> Apache Software Foundation ?

No, it would have to be ASL 2, but that is pretty similar to BSD, no?
(caveat: IANAL)  i.e non-viral, free to use however you want, just
don't take credit for it.  Everything I've read says the two are
completely compatible

> Another question is not about snowball compiler, but about specific
> stemmers, which contributed by people. Are you willing also to
> support this activity ?

ASF is all about community, so the community would be responsible for
supporting the activity of the project.  Obviously, Dr. Porter and
Richard would need to be involved, but one goal of the ASF is that any
healthy project should be able to survive the loss of a committer.

The way the ASF works, people who contribute a lot would become
committers, etc., so yeah, I think the answer is yes.  It is a fairly
well defined process for doing this.  i.e. if you contribute a lot,
the other committers would nominate you to become a committer.  You
can read more about how the ASF works at www.apache.org/

HTH,
Grant