[Snowball-discuss] lateral etc

Martin Porter martin at porterloo.wanadoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 20 13:07:43 BST 2009

The stemming of 'lateral' to 'later' looks like an opportunity for
introducing another exceptional case.

Another embarrassing one is 'university' stemming to 'univers'. Even so,
none of these errors have been reported back to me as a problem for users of
IR systems.

Something that was reported to me a while ago from real IR use was 'carly'
(which can be a surname) stemming to 'car'. This is a consequence of a fancy
extension to handle -LY endings, which I now think may have been ill-judged.
If this extension is removed or modified, I think that (for the first time)
we may have to introduce a version number to mark the change.

Martin