[Snowball-discuss] German stemmer: hemmung -> hemmung, enzymhemmung -> enzymhemm

Martin Porter martin at porterloo.wanadoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 27 15:27:23 BST 2010

Richard,

The stemming anomalies you note don't matter so much for general IR work,
but do for the work that you are doing. It seems to me that you need a
German word splitter, so that enzymhemmung is split to enzym+hemmung etc.
Lemmatization systems do this. You can find sources by typing "german
lemmatization" into Google. In the past I've been involved with two
companies that do this work, Inxight and Teragram. Since working with them,
both have been taken over by larger companies. Their work was proprietory,
with a licence fee arrangement for their use.

Are there open source solutions here? I do not know. If you, or anyone else,
can share better information than I have it would be useful,

Martin