[Snowball-discuss] Irregular Plurals and Ablaut Plurals

Martin Porter martin at porterloo.wanadoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 16 10:36:05 BST 2010

Nathan, hi.

Yes, the plural forms man/men, child/children, if conflated at all, should
be done by extending the list in the routine 'exception1'. But, as Olly
Betts suggests, see the dicussion in the "account of snowball". It depends
on the way the stemmer is being used, but as part of any typical IR
solution, conflating ox with oxen (to take an extreme case) is not going to
be top of a "todo" list.

I have found the best approach is to fix problems noted by users, when there
is some proper comunication between users and managers of the IR system.

Martin

At 03:14 PM 8/13/2010 -0400, Nathan Wilson wrote:

>I am using CIS Documentum 6.5 SP3 which is using Snowball for its stemming
logic.  I have noticed that Snowball does not handle Irregular or Ablaut
Plurals.