[Snowball-discuss] Python port of Snowball stemmers is ready

Peter Stahl pemistahl at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 21 17:53:46 BST 2010

Hi Martin,

I just want to let you know that I've finished porting twelve of your Snowball stemmers to Python. I have made the code available on NLTK's code repository. It can be found under http://code.google.com/p/nltk/issues/detail?id=567.
If you like to use it without the need for installing NLTK, then at first you have to let the class 'SnowballStemmer' inherit from class 'object'. Furthermore, you have to comment out the following imports:

from api import *
from nltk.corpus import stopwords

Then the module should work the way I explained in the various docstrings. However, the demo function at the end of the module will not work without NLTK's corpora. I have not got feedback so far, so I would be happy if you tested my module and told me about bugs etc.
Oh, and by the way, the Python port of the German stemmer that is available on your site does not work correctly. It contains some bugs and the code is not of good style.

Thanks and best regards,
Peter