[Snowball-discuss] Yet another JavaScript stemmers port

Martin Porter martin at porterloo.wanadoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 14 11:02:45 BST 2010

Oleg,

As usual, I must apologise for the delay in replying to your email to
snowball-discuss.

The work you have done with the snowball stemmers is clearly very
comprehensive and interesting. Looking at the sources at ---

https://code.google.com/p/urim/source/browse/#svn/trunk/Firefox/modules/anal
ysis/stemmer/ext

--- it is clear that you have done something much more than merely supply an
alternative stemmer to the Porter stemmer in javascript, and I think we
should at least report it under "Snowball Projects". I wondered how you
established all the stemmers in javascript? Did you do a hand translation,
an automatic translation, or alter the snowball compiler to generate
javascript direct?

As you probably realise, the code at,

http://tartarus.org/~martin/PorterStemmer

is somewhat separate from the snowball work. I try to keep just one example
of the stemmer in each language, perl, java or whatever. Clearly your work
here should be noted in the snowball site.

Martin