[Snowball-discuss] Is incomplete stemming reduction normal?

Martin Porter martin.f.porter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 22:56:49 GMT 2011

Vladimir,

I am not sure that I fully understand you, but I think the point you
are making is that the porter stemmer stems

enterprise to enterpris

and it stems

enterpris to enterpri

and it seems odd that it does not stem enterprise to enterpri. But
this is correct. It is a mistake to put the result of the stemming
process back through the stemmer as a second step. Ignore the fact
that the result of stemming is a string that would be further reduced
in length by stemming it a second time. Does that answer your
question?

Martin