[Snowball-discuss] stemmer algorithm exclusions

Martin Porter martin.f.porter at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 09:52:20 BST 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 9:04 PM, Ilya Obshadko <xfyre at xfyre.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to modify Russian grammar for Snowball so that I could handle certain
> words that shouldn't be stemmed. . . . . .

Ilya,

Have a look at the section on 'exceptional forms' in

http://snowball.tartarus.org/algorithms/english/stemmer.html

You will need to put in place in the Russian stemmer something
equivalent to the extra 'among' statements in the Porter2 stemmer. I
think the notes there, and a look at the differences between the
Porter and Porter2 stemmers, can act as a guide to how you might do
this,

Martin