[Snowball-discuss] german_stemming

Stefan Grün s.gruen at placement24.com
Wed Jul 31 10:59:25 BST 2013

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am a german student in the 4th semester (internship semester).

Currently I'm working on a stemming-method, which needs to stem german
female words the same as their male patterns. (in Python)

_For example:_
the jobs 'Geschäftsführerin' (female chief executive) and
'Geschäftsführer'(male chief executive) both to the token
'geschaftsfuhr' to make it even searchable.

In the nltk-libary, there is a regularexpression-stemmer, which is
configurable in it's suffixes (e.g. adding suffix 'in' and you cut it
from the end).
Only with the combination of the snowball- and the
regularexpression-stemmer it is possible to do so.

_So finally my question is: _
Is there any possibility to fix this with the snowball-stemmer directly ??
You are working so hard on the software but I didn't found something
about that.

I would appreciate a reply at your earliest convenience.

Yours faithfully,
Stefan Grün