[Snowball-discuss] Multiple errors in generated Java sources for Latin algorithm

Alexander Myltsev alexander.myltsev at phystech.edu
Tue Jun 6 15:40:07 BST 2017

Thanks for your comments! My answers are below:

On 4 June 2017 at 11:51:14, Martin Porter wrote:

The Latin stemmer was included in the snowball release rather as a
theoretical exercise. I just wanted to show the ease of putting the
Schinke rules into a snowball form. The unusual feature of producing
two stems does seem rather unsatisfactory, if one is concerned with
practical IR work.

Do you think “two stems” would be fixed anytime soon?

On 4 June 2017 at 01:11:57, Olly Betts wrote:

> [error]
> ./src/main/java/org/tartarus/snowball/ext/latinStemmer.java:260:
> missing return statement

The java backend attempts to avoid writing out unreachable code, because
the designers of Java decided that unreachable code should be a
compile-time error. While that may make sense for human-written code,
it's unhelpful when generating code, but that's the situation we have to
work with.

There's a bug with this currently, as the end of this function clearly
can be reached. If I disable the elision of unreachable code, the
generated latinStemmer.java has a "return true;" at the end of that
function (and that's the only difference).

I'll try to fix this, but it may take me a while to get to as there's a
backlog of issues and PRs currently.

OK. I wonder what part of latin.sbl causes to produce invalid Java code? Since all other algorithms works (I hope in Java too), may be there is a workaround to make “latin” work in Java until it fixed?

A.