[Snowball-discuss] C compiler requirements

Tom Lane tgl at sss.pgh.pa.us
Mon Nov 9 05:33:26 GMT 2020

Olly Betts <olly at survex.com> writes:
> I'd also like to hear from anyone actually needing C90 support still,
> or (since I know only a small fraction of users read this list) anyone
> who even just knows of an actual situation where C90 is still needed
> (even if they aren't actually using snowball there).

FWIW, the Postgres project maintained C90 compliance for years too.
We dropped that and started to require a C99 compiler as of last
year's release (12.0), and we have received exactly zero push-back.
We are still pretty conservative about it, for example we discourage
//-style comments; but that's for cosmetic reasons not toolchain ones.

I concur with your thought that maintaining C90 compliance of the
generated code might still be worth something.  But allowing C99 in
the compiler really shouldn't be a problem.

			regards, tom lane