[Snowball-discuss] do R1, R2 and RV need to be updated after deleting something?

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Aug 8 02:42:29 BST 2023

[Replying to a rather old mail, which I noticed while looking for another
old mail I have on my todo list to answer...]

On Fri, Aug 27, 2021 at 08:44:38AM +0100, Martin Porter wrote:
> R1, R2, RV are set at the beginning of the stemming process, and don't
> need to be updated.

This is true, but I think you and Alonso are talking at cross-purposes
here.  Alonso asked:

| In step 1 I delete “abilità” and the word becomes “pratic”
|
| I leave RV untouched, and so it is still “ticabilità”

While the regions don't change, they're effectively references to the
string being worked on rather than copies of data from that string at
the point where each region was set.

As the string being worked on changes, the *contents* of R1, R2 and RV
can change, so when the string becomes “pratic” the contents of RV become
“tic”.