GSoC 2016: Text-Extraction Libraries in Omega

Philip Chung philipchung1995 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 9 21:46:06 GMT 2016

On 03/09/2016 09:06 AM, James Aylett wrote:
> I'm not sure how you propose generalising use of a library for
> extraction; how would a user configure omindex to know how to call the
> relevant library functions?

Sorry, I think I didn't make myself clear. From what I can gather,
Olly's patch introduces a new executable "omindex_wv" that is
responsible for the processing. The justification was that the
conversion happens in a subprocess to shield Omega from any crashes.

I was thinking of generalizing this addition to other types of
"worker" processes. The question was: Should we introduce more
executables like "omindex_wv", like say, "omindex_poppler",
"omindex_wps", etc., for each type of conversion?

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if this has any advantage over
the current system. Or am I just misunderstanding?

Philip