Integration of xapian in a framework

Ayush Gupta ayushgp10 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 20:24:43 GMT 2016

Hello James,

Thanks for the suggestions! I've tried to answer some of your questions. This
is a rough idea of how the autocomplete can be implemented. I know that
this would be quite slow and I'm trying to figure out how this can be
improved. This is what I think can be done:

   -

   Construct a weighted undirected graph with words as nodes ( weights as
   the number of times those 2 words have been searched together or found
   together in the documents).
   -

   Each node also keeps track of 5 most commonly used words with
   it(redundancy to save time from sorting its neighbours).
   -

   Whenever a user starts typing his query, this graph is queried and the
   first word is predicted by prefix matching. The results of the matching are
   shown in order of their searched frequency.
   -

   When the user starts typing the next word, the graph is visited and the
   neighbours of this word and any other word are retrieved and shown to the
   user in order of frequency(weight of edges.).

This is a rough overview of what I think can be used as an algorithm for
autocomplete. I am going to read some research papers and improve on this.

Learning from user queries: The method I have suggested is pretty basic.
Incrementing the weight of edges whenever 2 or more words are searched
together.

Stop Words: Since the prediction is quite basic right now, I dont think
that stop words can be integrated in providing query predictions in scope
of this project. What are your thoughts?

Another part of this project would be to implement the bindings for
currently supported languages.

I thought about your suggestion to let autocomplete be a part of xapian and
use a separate database for it.  What are your views on this?

Ayush