[Xapian-discuss] Xapian 0.8.4 released

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Dec 15 16:11:47 GMT 2004

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 11:00:52AM -0500, Jim Lynch wrote:
> Who should upgrade?  Everyone?

I'd recommend people do - 0.8.4 fixes a few bugs which are fairly
obscure, but you could hit them.

There's one minor problem which is new in 0.8.4 - the output from
"xapian-config --libs" includes "libxapian.la".  I'll probably release
0.8.5 next week to fix that and include a few minor improvements.

> I assume it is backward compatible.

It is at a source code level, unless you pass your own parameters to
BM25Weight, in which case you may need to update your code (as the
release announcement mentions).

Oh, and I removed the ability to write a Xapian object to an ostream
directly, as it's little used and potentially dangerous:

    cout << mset[i];

will compile, but you almost certainly meant:

    cout << *mset[i];

You now need to rewrite the former as:

    cout << mset[i]->get_description();

And note that including xapian.h no longer pulls in fstream, which your
code may have been implicitly relying on - if this is a problem add
'#include <fstream>' after '#include <xapian.h>'.

The ABI has changed, but that should be automatically taken care of by
the shared library versioning mechanism.