[Xapian-discuss] File Descriptors

Arjen van der Meijden arjen at glas.its.tudelft.nl
Mon Jan 31 11:05:33 GMT 2005

We have a server running over 4000 queries per hour at peak hours. It
has never given us any problems with file descriptors etc.
It does run the queries via xinetd, so there is a hard-limit on the
amount of omega processes that can co-exist, but I don't believe it has
often, if ever, reached that limit. The machine allows 1024 open file
descriptors, according to ulimit -n. The upper-limit is a bit higher
though: 399767 (according to /proc/sys/fs/file-max). I have no idea why
that value is so high, probably because it doesn't matter too much.

So I don't think you should be afraid to run into the maximum number of
open file descriptors. When you run into that, your server will be
extremely heavily loaded and you should take actions anyway.

Best regards,

Arjen