[Xapian-discuss] indexing db data

Arshavir Grigorian ag at m-cam.com
Wed Jul 20 22:37:21 BST 2005

Hello list,

I would like to try indexing data in a database table. While I got
dbi2omega to work and print the data, I am still not sure how it all
works together. What should be done to the output from dbi2omega?
If for example I have a table with 5 fields 2 of which I would like to
index, like so:

(id          primary key,
  title       varchar(100),
  name        varchar(100),
  description text,
  comments    text)

Description and comments should be indexed. What are the steps to do
that? I am assuming the result of my search is going to be a set of
primary keys for records that have the search term in one of the indexed
columns. Is this correct?
I am getting a feeling that omega is not designed for this sort of thing
and that I would have to write a custom indexer/searcher for this. If
so, any suggestions on how to do this are more than welcome. I am going
to be using Perl, but I think if I get the algorithm right, I can figure
out the coding.

TIA.

--
Arshavir Grigorian