[Xapian-discuss] Python bindings...

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Thu Sep 1 09:43:27 BST 2005

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 07:40:01PM +0100, Olly Betts wrote:

> > I am having some difficulty.  The 0.9.2 sources build fine and using
> > simpleindex.py works ok, but just as per this bug report from a bit ago:
> >
> > http://lists.tartarus.org/pipermail/xapian-discuss/2005-June/000944.html
> >
> > ... simplesearch.py does not.  It fails with "NotImplementedError: No
> > matching function for overloaded 'new_Query'".
>
> OK, just reread that thread.
>
> I was hoping James would have a chance to look at it, since he seems to
> understand the swig python stuff best.
>
> James: If you're too busy, or had a look and didn't get anywhere, let me
> kmow abnd I'll see what I can do...

I saw this myself a while ago, and I'm sure I looked into it, and for
some reason concluded that it wasn't my problem. But I've no idea how
I came to that decision :-)

It's a SWIG thing, I think - simplesearch.py uses the %extend
constructor to Query, which (once again) has ceased to work. This is
really, really unstable, and seems to rely on particular versions of
SWIG to get it right - I suspect they've tinkered something in stl.i
which has caused it to fail to recognise the parameters to the
%extend.

I'm building up SVN head at the moment (chug, chug), so I'll report
back if I find anything new. Doubt I'll have a chance to prod SWIG
that much today, and in any case I'm a little confused now as to
exactly which version of SWIG gets used for which language... I seem
to be using 1.3.26, however, which probably means I'm building from
CVS as it doesn't look like that's been released yet.