[Xapian-discuss] Long query times

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Sep 30 17:23:13 BST 2005

On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 12:13:41PM -0400, derbex at pop3.uklinux.net wrote:
> Riiiight -can't say anything obvious leaps out of the documentation. The
> only two methods labelled 'For compatibility with Xapian 0.8.5 and earlier'
> in Enquire are set_sorting() -which is what I'm trying to get away from,
> and set_sort_forward()?

It's the latter - set_docid_order replaces set_sort_forward.  It was rather
poorly named before, and people tended to think it controlled the order
when sorting on a value (which wasn't possible before).

Old "true" is new ASCENDING, while "false" is DESCENDING.  DONT_CARE is
new in the new interface (conceptually it allows the matcher and backend
to pick whichever order is most efficient to use but currently it always
results in ASCENDING).

Hmm, looking at the docs I realise that as well as saying they're for
compatibility, we should point users at the replacement methods!  I'll
fix that...