[Xapian-discuss] Debian and Ubuntu Packages

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sun Apr 9 17:50:12 BST 2006

I've taken over maintenance of the Debian and Ubuntu packages from Richard,
at least for now (Richard's done sterling work but has been very busy
recently).

I've set up pbuilder chroots on my Debian x86 box so I can easily build
packages for different releases.  There are now packages for Debian
(stable and testing/unstable) and Ubuntu (breezy and dapper) in the
repository at http://www.xapian.org/debian/ - please give them a try
and report any problems.  More information here:

http://www.xapian.org/download.php#deb

I'm going to set up a similar arrangement on my x86-64 box and build
packages for that architecture too.

Building packages for other releases of Debian or Ubuntu is fairly easy
but needs ~0.5GB of disk space for the chroot and takes time.  So if
there's demand, I can build packages for Debian woody or Ubuntu hoary
for example.  I suspect that most people will have upgraded by now
though.

I've turned the bindings packages for Python 2.1 packages back on, as
I fixed the breakage which was why they were disabled.

I'll package the other bindings as time allows.  If you'd like bindings
packaged for a particular bindings, please say to help me prioritise.

I have a sponsor lined up for getting the packages into Debian's
archive, but he's usually busy so it might take a while to sort that
out.