[Xapian-discuss] Xapian 0.9.7 released

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Oct 12 14:33:36 BST 2006

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 09:29:52AM +0200, Arjen van der Meijden wrote:
> Will the "old" 0.9.6ish zlib-patch still work on this version?
> If not do you have a new version for me?

Does it apply cleanly?  If it does, it should work fine.

> Do you expect to integrate it in a release anytime? Or do you think the
> Flint-backend won't improve much from zlib-compression and can better be
> used without it, especially with your other upcoming (size-related)
> improvements?

My plan is to rework this patch for the new Btree manager.  The savings
will certainly be useful for the record table (document data).

But if we're splitting off the current flint as the default backend for
1.0, perhaps it's worth including as an option.

> By the way, I missed the messages about the alternative block-size for
> the compaction of flint and quartz, is 8KB the best value for large
> databases? Or mostly used as default because it always was?

I'm not sure anyone has investigated varying the blocksize in much
detail.  I added the option because it was easy to do, and previously
the only way to change the blocksize of a database was to use
"copydatabase" which is much slower than quartzcompact or xapian-compact
because it has to reinvert the index.