[Xapian-discuss] Python 2.1 support

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Thu Oct 12 17:50:22 BST 2006

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 05:34:53PM +0100, Olly Betts wrote:

> While building debian packages, I've discovered that xapian-bindings
> 0.9.7 doesn't work with Python 2.1 (the current Debian stable has
> Python 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, and 2.4!)  The problem is in SWIG and is easy
> to fix (I already have), but it makes me wonder if the time has come
> to give up supporting Python 2.1.

Unless anyone pipes up who needs this support, I'm +1 on dropping
it. Python 2.3 was *much* better than 2.1, and as you say 2.5 has
landed now.

Note, Pythonistas who roll their own (probably no one here),
PSF-2006-001: <http://www.python.org/news/security/PSF-2006-001/>.

Python 2.1 isn't supported in the patches for that, by the way...