[Xapian-discuss] Python 2.1 support

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Oct 12 18:08:58 BST 2006

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 05:50:22PM +0100, James Aylett wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 05:34:53PM +0100, Olly Betts wrote:
>
> > While building debian packages, I've discovered that xapian-bindings
> > 0.9.7 doesn't work with Python 2.1 (the current Debian stable has
> > Python 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, and 2.4!)  The problem is in SWIG and is easy
> > to fix (I already have), but it makes me wonder if the time has come
> > to give up supporting Python 2.1.
>
> Unless anyone pipes up who needs this support, I'm +1 on dropping
> it. Python 2.3 was *much* better than 2.1, and as you say 2.5 has
> landed now.

Useful to know.  I think for now there's no extra effort required
for 2.2 onwards so that would be my plan.

> Note, Pythonistas who roll their own (probably no one here),
> PSF-2006-001: <http://www.python.org/news/security/PSF-2006-001/>.
>
> Python 2.1 isn't supported in the patches for that, by the way...

I suspect there's no Python 2.1 patch because the bug probably doesn't
affect 2.1!  It looks like --enable-unicode=ucs4 was new in Python 2.2:

http://www.python.org/doc/2.2.3/whatsnew/node8.html

I suspect that security patches for 2.1 aren't top priority for the
Python developers now though.