[Xapian-discuss] Error on ./configure process with Xapian-bindings-0.9.6

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Sep 18 04:08:54 BST 2006

On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 06:07:02PM +0100, James Aylett wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 03:41:51PM +0100, Olly Betts wrote:
>
> > Incidentally, I'm not sure if you'll be able to build a PHP module with
> > mingw to use with PHP compiled with something else.  It seems to be
> > impossible to achieve this with Python at least.
>
> I'll be amazed if it works for PHP.

Given the Python situation, I wouldn't be totally suprised if it didn't.
But I still don't really understand why.

The mingw compiler should be capable of producing code with the same
calling conventions - after all mingw is built on the idea of using
the Microsoft C runtime DLL, and it can work with other DLLs too - it's
not just some hand crafted assembler glue specific to the CRT DLL.

I can believe you can't link C++ code from both mingw and Microsoft
toolchains, since the C++ libraries aren't compatible.  Even if you
don't use the libraries, the C++ name mangling and exception handling
may not be the same.  But Xapian's C++ code is hidden in DLLs behind a C
API from PHP's point of view, so this shouldn't really be a problem.

> Does anyone know how the PHP Windows binaries are built? They're
> probably using MSVS, at least for the ISAPI version, because they'll
> have to load into IIS which will be MSVS-built.

"If you have Microsoft Visual Studio, you can also build PHP from the
original source code."

Which seems to suggest you can't build it with mingw.