[Xapian-discuss] Problems compiling xapian-core to run omega, SunOS

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sat Dec 8 10:38:44 GMT 2007

On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 01:11:57PM -0700, Craig M Talbert wrote:
> The server I'm compiling on is a little odd.  SunOS on a sun4
> architecture.
>
> Fails when linking, gives the following,

Hmm, can you build other C++ software?

> memcpy                              0x10
> /usr/local/gcc-3.3.2/lib/./libstdc++.a(ctype.o)

Is there any error output before this?

> ld: fatal: relocations remain against allocatable but non-writable
> sections

I don't have access to any sparc machines since sourceforge killed their
compile farm, but googling for that error message suggests that you
might have more success using GNU ld:

http://www.filibeto.org/pipermail/solaris-users/2004-March/000660.html

Other hits suggest it might be related to trying to link with static
libraries when compiling a shared library, in which case you could
either try to rebuild GCC with a shared libstdc++, or build xapian-core
only as a static library using:

./configure --disable-shared