[Xapian-discuss] Remote database search issues

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Sun Oct 28 10:28:51 GMT 2007

On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 05:54:04AM +0000, Olly Betts wrote:

> > CAN you run searches with tcpsrv in parallel?
> > or can you NOT run searches in parallel with progsrv?
>
> Both can run searches in parallel.  In the case of xapian-tcpsrv, it
> forks for each new connection (on Windows a new thread is started),

Presumably as it forks it has to open a new Database() object? Not
that threading helps here in the slightest, of course, and fork isn't
terribly expensive these days.

I wonder how much time we're spending in db opening. I'm guessing it
isn't huge, but it's perhaps the most obvious place where thread
niceness of the object (rather than just thread safety in creation and
use of different objects) might come in handy in the coming years.