[Xapian-discuss] Databases on Windows

Charlie Hull charlie at juggler.net
Mon Apr 14 17:31:26 BST 2008

Colin Bell wrote:
> It must be me doing something wrong. I ran all the tests included in
> the Xapian build and they all ran ok, they didn't seem to have any
> problems. I created the project as a windows console application and
> just used the standard settings, am I missing something here?

Hi Colin,

If I build Xapian from the command line using the Win32 make files as a
set of .libs, then create a new IDE project containing only your minimal
test code, and attempt to link in the Xapian libs, I get the problems
you report *but only if running in Debug mode*. Running in Release mode
works fine and successfully creates the 'research' folder and database.

Are you running the IDE in Debug mode and attempting to use .libs built
for Release mode? The latter is the default for the Win32 make files.

std::strings are handled differently in Debug mode (they're bigger!) and
mixing the two modes is unlikely to work.

Cheers

Charlie