[Xapian-discuss] binary db compatibility between versions

Henry henka at cityweb.co.za
Wed Apr 1 14:38:59 BST 2009

Quoting "Olly Betts" <olly at survex.com>:
> ... Note that cases
> which aren't compatible will throw DatabaseVersionError, so just trying
> it is the simplest way to check.

I ran into this a few days ago (r12236, I think), requiring a re-index
on my test data (using chert) :)

> ... but I'm interested to hear feedback from users about what sort
> of compatibility promises they find useful.

How about always bumping the minor version number when the index
format changes?
That way it's obvious (at a glance) that a significant change has
occurred, triggering (hopefully) a closer inspection of the changelog
by the user.

Regards
Henry