[Xapian-discuss] problems installing the perl modules

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Apr 7 02:48:29 BST 2009

On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 05:08:48PM +0100, Amias Channer wrote:
> The install chugs along hapily until the following line..
>
> /usr/bin/perl /usr/share/perl/5.8/ExtUtils/xsubpp  -C++
> -typemap /usr/share/perl/5.8/ExtUtils/typemap -typemap perlobject.map
> -typemap typemap  Xapian.xs > Xapian.xsc && mv Xapian.xsc Xapian.c
> g++ -c   -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DTHREADS_HAVE_PIDS -DDEBIAN
> -fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
> -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O2   -DVERSION=\"1.0.11.0\" -DXS_VERSION=
> \"1.0.11.0\" -fPIC "-I/usr/lib/perl/5.8/CORE"   Xapian.c
> Xapian.c: In function `void
>    XS_Search__Xapian__QueryParser_parse_query(PerlInterpreter*, CV*)':
> Xapian.c:3538: error: `FLAG_DEFAULT' is not a member of type `
>    Xapian::QueryParser'

You're building against an incompatible version of xapian-core.

You should have got a warning about this when you ran:

perl Makefile.PL

If you didn't, that's a bug - could you open a ticket with the exact
output of "perl Makefile.PL" if so.

This is only a warning as it often works OK (it's generally only a
problem when a newer Search::Xapian wraps a new xapian-core feature)
and it's annoying for users to have to modify Makefile.PL to get
compatible combinations to work.

> To me it would make sense to have an apt candidate for the Perl module
> in your repo and i'd be happy to have a go at maintaining that build if
> given some help to get started.

Thanks for the offer, but we are actually in the process of moving away
from maintaining our own package repo on xapian.org to using
backports.org and Ubuntu PPAs.  For now, the simplest thing to do is use
the packages from debian, or download an older version of Search::Xapian
which matches your xapian-core.