[Xapian-discuss] Powered by Xapian

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Sep 15 15:42:30 BST 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 03:50:15PM +0200, Daniel Ménard wrote:
> I was surprised to discover how hard it was for me to find how to do...
> I'm not a novice user and I know pretty well the Xapian web site and its
> content, but I only found :
> - the "MoreUsers" entry of the wiki [1] which states "We'd love a
> reciprocal "powered by Xapian" or similar link to help spread the word"
> but does not provide any logo or guidelines on how to do so;
> - the "Users" page of the main web site [2] which contains a "Powered by
> Xapian" logo but does not if/how this logo can be used.

Thanks for raising this.  We should have some more helpful guidance,
and that might help encourage people to add a link.

> For now, some questions:
> - can I use the "powered by" logo found on [2]? what is the license? (I
> guess the answer, but...)

I don't think we have an explicit licence on it.

It was actually drawn in a "xapian logo competition" by a tweakers.net
user, and I don't think a licence was specified.  We really should have
picked up on this at the time - I did try to make contact later but
failed.

It's probably reasonable to assume that it was provided to us to use as
a logo for Xapian, but I'd certainly be happier with an explicit
licence.

I've just done a quick bit of internet stalking (um, I mean sleuthing)
and I seem to have found an email address for him, so I'll try to
contact him once I checked I remembered the right user name.

I guess we should think about what licence is most appropriate.  I don't
think we want to demand verbatim use, but also I'm not sure a completely
liberal licence is appropriate for what is essentially branding.

> - does this logo exist in other dimensions/backgrounds?
> - can I modify it? (as is, it is quite large, and the textual part of
> the logo does not suit well on a French web site)
> - does anybody have a vectorial version (svg, eps..) of this logo or of
> the big Xapian logo [4]? (it would help)

Jenny Black drew this SVG version a couple of years ago, which should
be good for making resized bitmap versions, and for different
backgrounds:

http://oligarchy.co.uk/xapian/patches/xapian-logo-square.svg