[Xapian-discuss] Multiple spelling suggestions

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon May 9 22:33:43 BST 2011

On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 08:08:49AM +0200, Jean-Francois Dockes wrote:
> When just trying to quick-fix the query, or running an alternate query like
> Google does, using the "best" candidate is fine. But having another mode to
> let the user choose among a list of possibles is nice too.
>
> Any chance that Xapian would support this ?

Yes - this is one of the things which Nikita is planning to address in
GSoC:

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2011/nsmetanin/16001

> In some cases, this can be useful. 2 examples on my test index:
>
> porbability: xapian suggests portability, which is nice, but I was
> intending probability which is in the aspell list all right.

I think in this case, the transposition is a more likely mistake
than typing 'b' rather than 't', which is something else which
Nikita is planning to look at.

> macdonell: xapian suggests macdonald, all right again, but aspell also
> suggests mcdowell and mcdonald, which might be actually useful to someone
> trying to remember the name of a correspondant.

Phonetic similarity was another one.