[Xapian-discuss] Xapian.org design

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue May 17 00:15:13 BST 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 11:04:34AM +0100, Justin Finkelstein wrote:
> We were talking a little while ago about putting together some content
> to provide more examples of operations for first-time users.

That would definitely be useful.

> One of the other thoughts that's come up is about the design of the
> Xapian site; we've a bit of spare designer capacity at work and were
> wondering if we could do you a jazz-ed up site design (for free) and
> wondered if this'd be something the Xapian guys would be interested in.

There's actually been a project to redesign the website, mostly by
James Aylett, going on for some time.  I don't think the latest version
is online, but an older iteration is here:

http://tartarus.org/james/xapian/

The dates of the releases on there will give you some idea how long
this has been in progress!  I think James got rather bogged down in
how to style the documentation consistently (there are several different
ways documents are generated).

It would be really good to improve things - there are a few structural
issues, mostly with navigation in the documentation, and finding what
you want in the download page.  And a bit of graphic design certainly
wouldn't go amiss.

If your designer uses IRC, it's probably simplest to jump on IRC and
we can discuss this more interactively on #xapian-devel (on freenode).