[Xapian-discuss] Help, changeset files through replication won't be deleted!

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Jan 19 19:07:33 GMT 2015

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 06:35:01PM +0800, chunhuan wu wrote:
> Master and slave are on the same machine, and I set the environment
> variable XAPIAN_MAX_CHANGESETS to 10, so the master db folder keeps 10
> changeset files, but the slave db folder keeps all the changeset files, and
> the size of it is getting larger.
>
> I think it's unreasonable for the replication client to keep all the old
> changeset files, because the master always keep the newset 10 changeset
> files. Is there any enviroment varibles to set to solve this problem, or
> other setting I should configure?

Like any other writer, the replication client will honour
XAPIAN_MAX_CHANGESETS, so just make sure this isn't set for the client.

The reason it might be useful for the client to keep changeset files is
to allow multi-tiered replication, where some clients pull from the
master and are in turn masters for further clients.  This allows you
to easily scale past the limit of the number of clients a single master
can support.