problem with bindings configure script

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Sep 12 01:20:10 BST 2016

On Fri, Sep 09, 2016 at 08:25:20PM +0100, James Aylett wrote:
> On 9 Sep 2016, at 19:55, John Bankert <jbankert at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to compile xapian core and bindings under cygwin. I have no
> > issues running the configure script and then compiling core, but bindings
> > is giving me some issues. I'm running the configure script for bindings as
> > follows:
>
> 1. XAPIAN_CONFIG needs to point to the xapian-config binary you built
> (and installed) from xapian-core-1.4.0

You should be able to build the bindings against a built but uninstalled
xapian-core source tree.  But XAPIAN_CONFIG definitely does need to
point to the xapian-config script, not to a directory.

> > jni.h does in fact exist in /opt/java/jdk1.8.0_92. I tried putting a
> > confdefs.h in the xapian-bindings directory but it gets deleted, so I'm
> > guessing that the configure scripts is trying to build confdefs.h

Yes, it is meant to be generated by configure, and should contain
`#define` for various macros for use in test compilations - the reason
for doing this rather than using `-D` is to avoid exceeding command line
limits which some platforms have.

I'm not sure why this might fail to work - looking in config.log might
be enlightening.