PuTTY 0.52 is released

Simon Tatham anakin@pobox.com
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 21:01:00 +0000

PuTTY version 0.52 is released.

All the pre-built binaries, and the source code, are now available
from the PuTTY website at

This long-awaited release is packed full of new features, many of
which have been available in the development snapshots for some
months now. The Changes page on the web site gives a full list of
the new features, but here's a summary of the major ones:

 - There is now documentation! We have a complete manual for PuTTY and
   its tools, and this manual is also provided as a Windows Help file.

 - We now support public-key authentication in SSH2 (both RSA and DSA).

 - We now support SSH port forwarding and X11 forwarding.

 - We now support SFTP, the new file transfer mechanism in SSH2. We
   provide PSFTP, a dedicated SFTP client, and also the existing
   PSCP program will use SFTP if it can arrange it. In particular,
   this makes PSCP work with ssh.com servers (which support nothing
   other than SFTP).

 - PuTTY has vastly improved support for character sets in the
   terminal window - including UTF-8.

 - PuTTY now supports full-screen mode, a bit like a DOS box.

In addition to these and other new features, we've also fixed some
bugs in 0.51:

 - The AltGr key now works again.

 - The `Server failed host key check' message should _really_ be
   gone this time.

 - Error reporting is now much better.

Enjoy using PuTTY!

Cheers,
Simon
--
Simon Tatham         "loop, infinite _see_ infinite loop"
<anakin@pobox.com>     - Index, Borland Pascal Language Guide