[Snowball-discuss] There is another system named snowball

Richard Boulton richard@tartarus.org
21 Dec 2001 11:46:55 +0000

On Thu, 2001-12-20 at 22:04, Tolkin, Steve wrote:
> Just in case you are too modest, let me suggest renaming
> the project to to e.g. porter or porter_stemmer.

To interject at this point: my experience is that renaming projects is
generally more trouble than it is worth.

In particular, to rename the project on sourceforge is a BIG chunk of
work (it requires submitting a support request which can take months to
be performed, amongst other things).

There's not a trademark problem or anything here, AFAIK, so we should
only change if we feel there's a real danger of people being confused.
If we need to make a distinction, we can refer to this project as the
snowball stemmer project, which I think will be a unique reference.
Also, people are already becoming familiar with the use of the name
"Snowball" to refer to this project.

I really don't think it's worth worrying about.

--
Richard