[Snowball-discuss] Pascal codegenerator for Snowball

Martin Porter martin.porter at grapeshot.co.uk
Wed Apr 20 21:37:39 BST 2005

Wout,

I have only recently looked through the the large tgz file you sent me in
January. Here are some initial thoughts,

The work of your student was done to high standard, and the delivered
system, with software enxtensions and documentation, is very nice. The only
real slip is that the upper/lower case disctinction of Snowball  names was
not preserved in the generated Pascal code. But I have altered the finnish
stemmer so that V and v are called V2 and V1 now, so you won't have to
create a separate version.

I have not yet talked to Richard Boulton about this, but I think we should
keep the tgz file on the Snowball site with a note about its purpose, but I
don't think it is worth incorporating the Pascal codegenerator into the main
Snowball system, since it is unlikely there would be a large demand for
Pascal versions of the stemmers.

There is of course a danger that as Snowball extends, use of the Pascal
codegenerator will become increasingly difficult, but I am beginning to
think that Snowball is now fairly fixed, so that should not be a problem.

Martin