SV: [Snowball-discuss] Norwegian stemmer

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Apr 21 00:14:27 BST 2005

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 03:04:21PM +0200, Bruusgaard, Jan wrote:
> Here are my comments. As I see it, there is an improvement for 13 words
> and 5 words are worse.

Bear in mind I know next to nothing about Norwegian, but...

I notice that all the cases that would be an improvement have a vowel
before the 'k' (actually I don't know what counts as a vowel in
Norwegian, but they all have 'a', 'e', 'i', 'o', or 'u' before the 'k')
and all but one of the cases that are worse have a consonant before the
'k' (in particular 'r', 's', or 'k').

If this rule were used, then from the sample vocabulary only "foretaks"
would be handled worse.